7 Types of Coaching for Executive’s
7 Types of Coaching for Executives
By Dr. Nancy Zentis, 1-24-17
There are many different types of coaching needed in the business world today. Some executive coaches focus on behavioral issues, personal issues and leadership skills, while others focus on business issues.
Below are seven of useful types of coaching to consider when coaching Executives!
- Business coaching-Business Coaching aims to help an individual or a team of people improve their performance within a business environment and with a focus on achieving results for the business. It is viewed in the coaching world as the business coaching for senior leaders to set strategy, improve leadership, performance, and business issues.
- Executive Coaching- One to one coaching is increasingly being recognized as the way for organizations to improve Executives for developing new skills, improving performance, overcoming de-railers, and preparing for advancement. Offer coaching at the executive level and tied to organization goals, often results in improved business results. Executive coaching is often delivered by coaches operating from outside the organization whose services are requested for an agreed duration or number of coaching sessions.
- Leadership Development – There is a distinction here between coaches who help leaders and people managers to become more effective individual leaders and coaches who help leaders and organizations develop a pool of leaders and a development plan or system that ensures a constant supply or a pipeline of great leaders. The main difference between executive coaching and leadership coaching is that coaching involves working with a large number of leaders and people managers and not just work solely with individual leaders.
- Behavioral Coaching for Leaders – The main focus of behavioral coaches is achieving a long-term change in interpersonal skills, behavior and attitude of leaders and people managers to enable them to work more efficiently with their teams , they give advice on how leaders can build better relations and more cohesive teams , how to more effectively motivate their people. This is one of the mostly requested type of coaching which can be very useful for all people managers.
- Organizational Change Coaching- Coaches in this category are faced with a number of challenges in their role of helping organizations through the process of change, from organizational capacity for innovation, mergers, executing new strategies, major restructurings. these coaches work closely with senior leaders as well as their teams to make major changes happen successfully.
- Strategic Coaching – Strategic coaches work with top executives in defining the long term direction and putting together a long term strategic plan for the organization. The main role of this category of coaches is help and guide the organization at it’s top levels to plan and create the path for it’s own future.
- Career Life Coaching – Career or life coaches focus more time on developing personal values, personal mission statements and the broader aspects of life helping individuals focus more on their interpersonal world of one person rather than his/her interpersonal skills in relation to his/her group or co-workers. Coaches in this category recognize that helping clients work on personal growth and solving life problems and issues adds a great value to the organization.