Current Career Opportunities in Leadership Development
Author: Dr. Nancy Zentis, CEO of Institute of Organization Development
If you are interested in a career in Leadership Development, you are on the right track. The job market is favorable right now for those entering the field with previous experience in designing, developing, and implementing training curriculum and background in helping organizations create an aligned strategic leadership development system. Requirements needed include: A Bachelor’s degree is required minimally and an advanced degree in Management, Organization Development, Learning and Development, Industrial Organizational Psychology or similar field is a plus. A certification in leadership development is considered desirable.
If you have the degree but lack experience, a great way to enter the field is by applying for an internship. Many organizations offer internships to college grads to develop their skills for a future role in leadership development. In addition, many good consulting organizations offer hands-on internships.
If you are interested in making a career change to become a leadership development consultant, a background in HR, OD or Training and Development backgrounds, or leadership roles can be successful especially if you have demonstrated great communication skills, background in hiring, selection, talent management, and training.
If your goal is to become an independent Leadership Development Consultant, their role is to provide senior leaders with support help them identify and implement a leadership development strategy that is aligned to the organizations vision and mission, and goals of the organization. Leadership development consultants act as advisors to senior leaders to help them create sustainable leadership development process that is integrated into the culture.
How to Enter the Field!
Obtain industry-specific work experience. A Leadership Development position usually require experience specific to the industry or company and experience developing recruitment and selection, leadership engagement, competency models, assessment and 360 feedback tools, succession planning programs, coaching and mentoring, performance management, internal promotions, creating talent pools, developing and facilitating leadership training programs.
According to the 2016-17 Occupational Outlook Handbook from the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), the amount you’ll earn as a leader in your field will depend on the career path you take. For example, someone with a master’s degree can earn up between $80,00 and $105,000 annually in a leadership development role, while someone in the leadership development management can easily earn over $150,000 – $183,000 annually.
Actual salaries may vary greatly based on specialization within the field, location, years of experience and a variety of other factors.
Explore OD Certification Programs such as the one offered byIOD.
The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) states that while certification is not required, some employers prefer or require certified job candidates. In order to operate as an independent consultant, LD consultants may benefit from a reputation verified by industry credentials. Although graduate programs in leadership development are available, students who earned their degree in another field can still enroll in a leadership development certificate program.
What is the Demand for this Career?
Take a look at the job growth projections predicted by the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics through 2024:
The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) predicts that opportunities for leadership development positions will grow by 7% before 2020. In May 2015, the median annual wage for these professionals was $102,640, according to the BLS. Salaries can vary widely depending on factors such as the industry, employer, region and the applicant’s education level. Job seekers are encouraged to do their own research on salary for any positions they are seeking.
Some employers prefer a master’s degree, usually with a concentration in organizational leadership, training and development, human resources management or business administration. Managers would also benefit from studying behavioral psychology or educational psychology.
IOD LDCP Certification Program
Institute of OD offers an online Leadership Development Certification Program. This program is offered over 8 months, meeting 3 hours per month. Participants learn how to help senior leaders identify a leadership development strategy aligned to strategic business goals, and help them identify, plan and implement the strategy. You will receive 8 participant guides, and slides, tools, templates and guidelines to help you design you leadership development program.
Where to look for jobs?
1. Leadership Development Consultant
This is a contract-to-hire position. In this role, you will be responsible for learning and development training and initiatives, including the thoughtful and deliberate assessment and development of leadership talent to support the business strategy, deepen talent pipeline, and maximize the potential of employees. Primary job functions for this position include the following:
· Provide employees with technical and soft skills classroom training, demonstrations, on-the-job training, meetings, conferences, and workshops.
· Develop critical high potential leadership programs focused on transitioning leaders into roles of greater responsibility and institutionalize leadership development as a core practice throughout the organization
· Consult with HR Business Partners, senior business leaders & other key stakeholders to perform periodic needs analyses and execute strategy
· Coach executives and managers on critical competencies.
Minimum skills required include:
· Minimum 10 years of experience in Human Resources, Organization Development, Training, Leadership Development and Talent Management, with at least 5 years delivering leadership training to front line through senior level management.
· High profile executive level communication and facilitation experience.
· Excellent written communication, analytical and confidentiality skills, related to human performance and behavior.
· Knowledge of demonstrated experience in change management and employee development.
· Experience designing, developing, and implementing training curriculum is a plus.
· Certification in leadership development is a plus.
· Bachelor’s degree is required. A degree in Management, Organization Development, Learning and Development, Industrial Organizational Psychology or similar field is a plus.
· Ability to travel up to 30%.
2. Leadership Development Manager
This position reports to the Manager, Workforce Engagement & Development and is accountable for the designing, development, coordination, implementation and evaluation of leadership development and engagement programs by utilizing adult and accelerated learning methodologies. Assesses individual and organizational leadership development and engagement needs and evaluates/measures program effectiveness. This position partners with other Human Resource professionals to coordinate leadership and employee engagement activities. The incumbent will serve as an expert by consulting, coaching, and identifying training and employee engagement opportunities.
Responsibilities Accountable for building and applying leadership and/or organization development capabilities in partnership with HR Business Partners, business leaders and other Centers of Expertise to create an environment in which our employees can do their best work and ultimately drive effective outcomes defined by our strategies. Work is focused across the foundation to support the foundation’s impact strategies. Lead and manage programs, facilitate growth and development of HR Consulting Team.
· Contribute to the development, and implement the foundation’s Leadership and/or Organization Development models with subsequent governance, tools, processes and approach.
· Develop and manage Leadership and/or OD processes
· Implement and utilize our Employee Engagement methodology, measurement process and tools.
· Provide Leadership, Organization Effectiveness, Culture and Change Management consulting to foundation leaders, and shadow consulting to HR Business Partners.
· Lead Leaderships, Organization Assessment, Design and Development interventions
· Manage vendor relationships
In-depth knowledge of Leadership and/or Organization Development, including: org design, change management, org effectiveness, employee engagement and culture change
Strong Change Management design and implementation experience
Superior group facilitation and team intervention skills
Continuous improvement experience (Lean, Six Sigma)
Experience designing for a Global Organization
Business and financial acumen, as well as general knowledge of all HR functional areas
Ability to manage ambiguity, risk, and changing direction of projects and strategies
Works independently and receives minimal guidance
Influential leadership and storytelling
Excellent problem-solving, critical thinking and analytical skills
Highly effective written and verbal communication skills
3. DIVISION MANAGER – LEADERSHIP DEVELOPMENT
Partnering with senior leaders, the Division Manager will set the vision and direction for all leadership development programs and initiatives using data to drive decision-making about program content and structure to directly and indirectly ensure the development of leaders both at headquarters and globally among the Lion volunteer leaders.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
* Establishes direction and guidelines for the development of leadership programs at the international, multiple district, district and club level in all constitutional areas including, but not limited to, Leadership Institutes, Lions Learning Center online courses, and District Governors-Elect Seminar, and aligning these programs with the goals and initiatives of the strategic plan.
* Directs the activities of the Leadership Administration, Program Design and Development and Institute and Seminars departments including leading, managing and evaluating staff.
* Oversees the design, development and production of all leadership development programs and instructional materials using a blend of traditional instruction and technology.
* Provide overall direction for the design and implementation of ongoing professional development opportunities for current employees and managers, aligning programs with the goals and initiatives of the strategic plan.
* Oversee the creation of development opportunities for high potential managers at Headquarters.
* Researches industry trends, concepts and new technologies to update current training curriculum.
Education and Experience
* Bachelor’s degree in business, organizational training, marketing, communications or other related field.
* 10 or more years of senior management experience in leadership and organizational development, managing global leadership development, strategic planning and instructional design or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Leadership Development Operations Excellence Manager
The Leadership Development Operations Excellence Manager, is a member of the Leadership Development (LD) team, the broader Talent Development team, and is part of the People Department at American Airlines. The LD team helps American ‘go for great’ by providing systems, tools, and resources for Leadership Development. This position reports to the Sr. Manager, Leadership Development, and is responsible for designing, developing, and executing leadership development operations strategies, framework, processes, tools, and resources for the team’s internal & external operations. There are 2 key focuses of this role – leverage strategic planning skills to establish a Leadership Development Operations (LD Ops) infrastructure; and utilizing planning, organization, & collaboration skills to ensure the day-to-day operations is accomplished. Currently this role is an individual contributor role, however, there could be a chance this role will grow into a people manager role. Candidates who have the passion and experiences in building an infrastructure and implementing the plan will enjoy and be successful in this role.
Responsibilities / Duties
· Sets the strategy and vision for LD Ops systems and tools. A key and initial deliverable of this role is to create a proposal on how LD Team maximizes the balance between internal and external facilitators as the model to deliver learning solutions (especially instructor-led programs) to our clients
· Leads the planning and implementation of LD Ops processes that aligns with the team’s strategy and goals
· Creates strategic LD Ops plans by partnering with internal resources and external vendors to provide/implement appropriate operations efficient solutions for LD team & internal customers
· Prepares and manages an annual LD budget under the guidance of the Sr. Manager, LD
· Manages all internal & external facilitators and takes action to assure there is enough facilitators to meet clients’ demands, and have systems, tools, follow-up mechanisms to ensure quality facilitation is being provided
· Utilizes technology channels to market and communicate to stakeholders (e.g. LMS, Jetnet webpage, emails, etc.)
· Provides counsel and support on program development and delivery, serving as internal content SME providing input into process and tools solution design on customized programs. Provides final review and approval before moving forward to production and implementation
· Assures cross functional collaboration in all leadership development programs by staying abreast of all LD systems, processes, tools, & resources are up-to-date and connected
· Project-manage all aspects of learning solutions (event planning, tracking of attendance in LMS, etc.) with Flagship University (FSU)
· Responsible for projecting/forecasting, monitoring, analyzing, decision-making, collaborating, evaluating, and reporting the delivery of learning programs including all logistics:
· classroom assignments
· communication with participants
· pre-work coordination
· management of assessments and reports
· coordinating deliverables (Facilitator guides, participant guides, and all other program materials)
· Develops, manages, and maintains relationships with external vendors
· Monitors & reports learning & impact metrics to assure effectiveness of development programs
· Identifies trends and recommends necessary improvements when needed
· Manages the implementation of new initiatives and drives continuous improvement of existing systems, processes, and tools
· Ability to think and establish strategic plans while implementing systems and processes collaboratively with other teams
· Comfortable operating in a state of ambiguity, uncertainty, and constant change; is flexible to adapt to change
· Ability to manage multiple, large scale projects
· Comfortable handling multiple tasks and demands in a fast-paced work environment
· Influences and encourages others to adopt new ideas, take a different course of action, or otherwise shift perspective
· Establishes relationships with leaders at all levels in the organization and maintains key relationships/partnerships throughout the organization
· Ability to communicate effectively – when speaking/presenting and in writing, in one-on-one and group settings, while shifting as appropriate for the audience; practices good listening skills
· Works well in a team environment; collaborates with diverse individuals and groups; consistently displays a readiness and willingness to share knowledge; is open to different perspectives and to building consensus
· Energetic, forward-thinking and creative with high ethical standards
· Ability to plan for the future, providing a clear framework for prioritizing work to achieve business objectives, while recognizing the uncertain nature of the future
· Uses negotiation and diplomacy skills to accomplish work
· Skillfully uses logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions, or approaches to problems
· Ability to take the initiative anticipating and handling problems or incidents before they become major issues
· Continuous learning and change management mindset
· Systems and process thinking, planning, and implementation
· Process, tools, and techniques to manage people-side of business change to achieve required business outcome
· Business and management principles involved in leadership development
· Principles and methods for curriculum and training design, teaching and instruction for individuals and groups, the measurement of training effects, and technology to support learning delivery
· Minimum 7-10 years of Leadership Development, Organization Development, or related experience
· Experience with learning development, curriculum design, training methodologies, and online education
· Minimum 5 years of managing projects or people
· Experience managing multiple complex projects simultaneously
· Experience working in a team-oriented, collaborative environment
· Track record of achieving transformational results in a large organizational setting
· Experience consulting, facilitating, and presenting to groups and leaders at all organizational levels
· Global experience preferred
· Bachelor’s degree in Organizational Behavior, Organizational Leadership, Psychology, or related field
· Master’s Degree or MBA in related field is highly preferred